Deep-fried Oreos have become a popular snack in the United States and around the world. The exact origins of deep-fried Oreos are unknown, but they have been around for many years. Some say that they first appeared at fairs and carnivals in the early 2000s. Others claim that they were invented by a fast-food chain in New Jersey in the late 1990s. What is known for sure is that deep-fried Oreos are now widely available at concession stands and restaurants across the country.
The dish consists of regular Oreo cookies dipped in a batter, then deep-fried until golden brown. This process produces an outer shell similar to a funnel cake, with the interior of an Oreo cookie. The result is a warm and gooey snack that can be covered in powdered sugar, chocolate syrup, or other toppings for added flavor.
Deep-fried Twinkies on the other hand have been around since the 1930s and are a popular snack food in the United States. Invented by an Iowa fair stand owner named Carl J. Smith, deep-fried Twinkies became popular at carnivals and state fairs before becoming a nationwide staple. The classic recipe involves coating Twinkies in batter and then deep frying them until they are golden brown and crispy on the outside while still melty inside.
Due to their popularity, there have been many variations of deep-fried Twinkies over the years, including battered and fried versions covered in chocolate or cream cheese fillings. Some restaurants even serve gourmet versions of these topped with fruit sauces or ice cream. As such, these treats should be enjoyed sparingly as part of an otherwise healthy diet.
Deep frying Oreos and Twinkies is a delicious way of enjoying these classic treats. Here are some chef-recommended tips for deep frying Oreos and Twinkies:
- Use a heavy-bottomed pot filled with oil that is at least three inches deep. This will help ensure even cooking throughout the entire treat.
- Make sure to use an oil with a high smoke point, such as canola or vegetable oil, so as to not burn the batter while still allowing it to become nice and crispy.
- Preheat the oil before adding in the food items, this helps keep the temperature consistent during the frying process. If you don't preheat your oil, it could cause your food to become greasy or soggy.
- Make sure your Oreos and Twinkies are completely dry before you dip them in the batter and place them into the oil. You can do this by patting them down with a paper towel or using a flour sifter.
- For an extra crispy coating, double-dip your Oreos and Twinkies in the batter before placing them into the hot oil. This will create a thick layer of crispness that will add flavor and texture to each fried treat.
- Fry one item at a time to avoid overcrowding, which could lower the temperature of your oil drastically and prevent even cooking.
- Once they are done, let your Oreos and Twinkies cool down on a paper towel to absorb any excess oil. Serve them warm with ice cream or whipped cream for the ultimate indulgence!
- For an extra flavor boost, you can add different spices to your batter such as cinnamon or nutmeg. This will give your fried treats a unique taste that is sure to impress even the pickiest eaters!
- If you are using premade batter mix, give it an extra kick with a tablespoon of melted butter for a richer flavor.
Best Toppings For Deep Fried Oreos & Twinkies
When it comes to deep frying sweet treats like Oreos and Twinkies, there are endless possibilities for delicious toppings. From classic chocolate sauce and sprinkles to more creative options such as cookie crumbles and caramel drizzle, the topping you choose can really make these fried desserts shine.
- Chocolate Sauce – What better way to top off a chocolate-filled indulgence than with a generous amount of melted chocolate? Drizzle it over your deep-fried Twinkies for an extra layer of sweetness.
- Rainbow Sprinkles – Add a fun flourish to your treat with colorful rainbow sprinkles! The sprinkles will give your fried snack a festive look and a crunchy texture.
- Caramel Drizzle – Sweet caramel sauce is always a classic topping for many desserts, including deep-fried Oreos and Twinkies. Drizzle or dip your treats in caramel to add sticky sweetness to the outside of each bite.
- Cookie Crumbles – Break up some of your favorite cookies and sprinkle them on top of your deep-fried goodies! Try using Oreo crumbs or crushed graham crackers for an extra layer of crunchy goodness.
- Whipped Cream – Give your deep-fried desserts an extra boost with homemade whipped cream or store-bought Cool Whip.